CATEDRAL DE CIUDAD RODRIGO, the little jewel
It is a cathedral full of masterpieces. The Portico del Perdón alone contains more than 400 Romanesque and Gothic sculptures of great beauty. Although it began in the 12th century, the work continued to the 15th, meaning that its style shows a clear transition from Romanesque to Gothic, as well as the Neoclassic tower. One of the principal attractions is the impressive Gothic vault, although the numerous chapels in its interior are also so.
The choir should not be forgotten either, strangely it has no religious motifs instead is decorated with fauna and flora images. The cloister is wonderful and is where the contrast between the two styles of architecture is best noted. Another jewel, the impressive Portico del Perdon is compared by some to the Catedral de Santiago de Competela. During the War of Independence this part of the building was fired at by Napoleonic troops and has the impacts of cannon fire on it.Románica y gótica
It is Romanesque in transition to Gothic in style. Dedicated to the cult of Santa María, it was begun in 1165 and work was finished six centuries later. Thus it lost certain important components: the Torre de las Campanas, the Torre de Defensa are added to the existing tower and the Capilla del Pilar during the 18th century.It was declared of Cultural Interest in 1889.
One of the main attractions is the Puerta de las Cadenas, thus called due to the old chains that protect it. There are five sacred Romanesque representations and above them and the round arch on columns is the royal gallery with twelve figures between clearly Gothic columns. Outside this round arch on the right there is also a small Virgin, Romanesque transitional to Gothic.
The fabulous Portico del Perdon is Gothic. The supporting columns are divided in two superimposed bodies, the first of columns and the second with images of the apostles. On them the archivolts are decorated with abundant images of episodes in the life of Jesus Christ and the Virgin. On the North façade of the transept is the Puerta de Amayuelas, flanked by two columns and with a Gothic arch. It is clearly Romanesque with a noteworthy lower arch, oriental in influence.
Another important element of the building is the Capilla del Pilar, attached to the left of the Puerta de las Cadenas, from the 18th century. It has Baroque decorative and architectural elements. The tower was added in the 18th century, built by Sagarvinaga. It is square and divided into three sections.Interior
The interior has three naves culminating in apses. The central or main chapel underwent modifications which elevated its height, Gil de Hontañon building a Gothic style vault. The Romanesque side naves open to the exterior through three windows on either section. The vaults are Gothic ribbed style.
At the ends are the chapels del Sagrario and de la Soledad, both with Baroque altarpieces. In the Vestry nave there is an alabaster altar by Lucas Mitata, representing Christ descending from the cross. The central nave has five sections, the first corresponding to the transept and the third to the choir and the windows are Gothic.
In the vault preceding the choir there is a group of sculptures on the corner of the supports and consisting of four sculptures: Fernando II de León, his wife Doña Urraca, the first Bishop of Cuidad Rodrigo and San Francisco de Asis. These sculptures earned it the title of Listed Historic Monument in 1889.Coro y claustro
The choir has 72 seats in two rows. The upper one with high altarpieces depicting vegetable, human and animal forms, except one which with a beautiful relief of San Pedro. Under the panels there is a frieze with profane, allegoric motifs. Under the seats are "las misericordias" which are for leaning against and have profane images. The chair arms or "paciencias" are decorated with human and animal figures. The artistic decorations around the choir are noteworthy and there are two organs on either side. The choir as a whole is Flemish-Hispanic in style.
The cloister, joined to the nave of the vestry consists of two zones. The west and south wings of the 12th century are the work of Benito Sánchez. The north and east are late Gothic with a 16th century Plateresque door by Pedro Guemes which looks out onto a patio. The Puerta del Esviaje is enclosed in a fan of stone. In reality the capitals have their own symbolism typical of the time portraying the struggle of good against evil. In the patio there are four majestic cypress trees about 250 years old.
CATEDRAL, CLAUSTRO Y MUSEO: L a D y F de 10-13 // 16-18
- PZA. SAN SALVADOR, S/N