The oldest part is the elevated entrance of the present tower of homage.The coat of arms on the pointed arch of the main gate belongs to the Rojas family and has led experts to conclude that the enclosure was built in the 14th century.

Inside, the castle has not preserved the original distribution except in the tower. A Romanesque door was added to the tower of homage. It was brought in from a church that had been covered by the water of the dam in Aguilar de Campoo. The village of Monzón, with its castle, was the centre of a county donated to the Ansúrez family by the kings of León during the 10th and 11th centuries and in the 15th and 16th centuries it was owned by the Rojas, a family from Burgos that since 1530 had the title of Marquises of Poza. They are likely to have built the present castle in Monzón de Campos.

Historical Data

Castle / Fortress / Watchtower
Predominant styles:


Castillo de Monzón, s/n. Monzón de Campos. 34410 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 808 075

More information

Tourist Office of Monzón de Campos


C/ Mayor, 5. Monzón de Campos. 34410 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 808 271

Tourist Office Regional of Palencia


C/ Mayor, 31. Palencia. 34001 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 706 523

Fax: 979 706 525


This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data