Sense the centuries of history
Convent of San Jose
It was the first monastery founded by Santa Teresa, with the help of her sister, her brother-in- law and the Bishop of Ávila. The monastery consisted of a number of houses and a small church grouped together, creating an architectural environment different from the rest of the town.
Some rooms have been preserved, such as the kitchen, the refectory, the Saint's cell and the cloister. The existing church by Francisco de Mora, begun in 1610, is of Herreran style and has excellent masonry. It keeps the worshipping sepulchres, in alabaster, of the Señores de Guillamas and the Bishop of Mendoza. Now, is a Convent of nuns of the Discalced Carmelites order.
- Religious architecture
- Monastery / Convent
- Predominant styles:
- Historical Period:
- Early modern period
Las Madres, 4. Ávila. 05080 Ávila.
Telephone: 920 222 127
Oficina de Turismo of Ávila
Avda. Madrid, 39. Ávila. 05001 Ávila.
Teléfono: 920 354 000 ext. 370 y 371
Fax: 920 254 200
Página Web: http://www.avilaturismo.com
Tourist Office Regional of Ávila
- From April, 1 to June, 30:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 – 13:30 and 16:00 – 19:00
- Winter (November, 1 – March, 31):
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 – 13:30 and 15:00 – 18:00
- Summer (July, 1 – September, 30):
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 – 13:30 and 16:00 – 20:00
- From October, 1 to October, 28:
- Every day: 10:00 – 13:30 and 16:00 – 19:00
Remarks: Last enter 30 minutes before closing .
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data