On the right bank of the Pisuerga River, at the bottom of a walk and surrounded by countryside, solemn and stately is the Convent of Santa Clara. It was founded in the XV century by the Franciscans. It is recognized as the founder Don Juan Manrique, and in 1436 was already occupied it by the Clare nuns, refounded by Mrs. Sancha de Rojas, wife of Don Gomez Manrique, Major Adelantado of Castilla.

It was built with stone ashlars, keeps its dependencies in good condition and is organized as its own of the order. All its rooms are in the interior of a large fence where there are the vegetable garden and the church, cloister, library, chapter house, refectory, bakery, work rooms, kitchen... Its church with an only nave, possesses a simple rib vault, and shields of its foundress, various altarpieces, a seated and polychrome Virgin from the XIII century and a similar Christ from the XIV century. The rest belongs to the Modern Age and the XVIII century.

Historical Data

Religious architecture
Monastery / Convent
Historical Period:
Middle Ages


Avda. de las Claras, s/n. Aguilar de Campoo. 34800 Palencia.

More information

Tourist Office of Aguilar de Campoo


Paseo Cascajera,10. Aguilar de Campoo. 34800 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 123 641

Fax: 979 125 710

Tourist Office Regional of Palencia


C/ Mayor, 31. Palencia. 34001 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 706 523

Fax: 979 706 525

Email: oficinadeturismodepalencia@jcyl.es