The style is Mozarabic, built on a Visigoth church
Monastery of San Miguel de Escalada
It was founded in the late 9th century, under the rule of Alfonso III, by a group of Christian monks from Córdoba led by Abbot Alfonso. They settled on the remains of a Visigoth church dedicated to the Archangel St Michael.
In 1050 the foundations were renovated, and a door was opened, which is the present entry to the church. During the Desamortización (state appropriation of church lands), the remaining possessions of the monastery were expropriated. The excavations made in 1968 under the floor of the Romanesque chapel unearthed the foundations of the apse of the original Visigoth church.
- Arquitectura Religiosa
- Monasterio / Convento
- Estilos predominantes:
- Periodo Histórico:
- Edad Media
Ctra. A Mansilla. San Miguel de Escalada (Gradefes). 24166 León.
Teléfono: 987 310 719
- Winter (March, 1 – April, 30):
- Friday to sunday: 10:00 – 14:30
- Closed: monday to thursday
- Summer (May, 1 – October, 31):
- Tuesday to saturday: 10:00 – 14:30 and 16:30 – 19:30
- Closed: monday
- From December, 1 to February, 28:
- Saturdays and sundays: 10:00 – 15:00
- General: 2 €
- Groups: 1 €
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data