King Alphonse VIII of Castile founded a community of Premostratense monks here
Monastery of Santa Maria la Real
According to an ancient legend, the origins of this monastery date back to the early 9th century, when the inhabitants of the northern mountain ranges gradually began to migrate towards the plains of the central plateau. However, the earliest records of the monastery correspond to the start of the 11th century and the first donations; eventually the vast dominions would extend into the lands of Palencia, Valladolid, Burgos and Cantabria.
In 1169 King Alphonse VIII of Castile founded a community of Premostratense monks, who would embark on an ambitious building programme in the Romanesque style that was so popular at the time.
Renovation work started in 1978 and today it is a leading centre for restoration, promotion and research into our cultural heritage.
- Arquitectura Religiosa
- Monasterio / Convento
- Estilos predominantes:
- Periodo Histórico:
- Edad Media
- Winter (February, 1 – June, 30):
- Tuesday to friday: 16:00 – 19:30
- Saturdays, sundays and holidays: 10:30 – 14:00 and 16:30 – 19:30. Guided tours:Invierno: fines de semana y festivos: 11.00, 12.30,17.00 y 18.30. De martes a viernes a las 16.30 y 18.00.
- Summer (July, 1 – September, 17):
- Every day: 10:30 – 14:00 and 16:30 – 20:00. Guided tours:11.00, 12.30,17.00 Y 18.30
- General: 5 €
- Reduced: 3 €
- Groups: 4 €
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data