According to an ancient legend, the origins of this monastery date back to the early 9th century, when the inhabitants of the northern mountain ranges gradually began to migrate towards the plains of the central plateau. However, the earliest records of the monastery correspond to the start of the 11th century and the first donations; eventually the vast dominions would extend into the lands of Palencia, Valladolid, Burgos and Cantabria.

In 1169 King Alphonse VIII of Castile founded a community of Premostratense monks, who would embark on an ambitious building programme in the Romanesque style that was so popular at the time.

Renovation work started in 1978 and today it is a leading centre for restoration, promotion and research into our cultural heritage.

Datos Históricos

Arquitectura:
Arquitectura Religiosa
Construcción:
Monasterio / Convento
Estilos predominantes:
Románico
Periodo Histórico:
Edad Media

Dirección

Ctra. Cervera s/n. Aguilar de Campoo. 34800 Palencia.

Teléfono: 979 123 053 / 616 994 651

Más Información

Tourist Office of Aguilar de Campoo

Address:

Paseo Cascajera,10. Aguilar de Campoo. 34800 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 123 641

Fax: 979 125 710

Tourist Office Regional of Palencia

Address:

C/ Mayor, 31. Palencia. 34001 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 706 523

Fax: 979 706 525

Email: oficinadeturismodepalencia@jcyl.es

Opening hours

  • Summer (July, 1 – September, 18):
    • Every day: 10:30 – 14:00 and 16:30 – 20:00. Guided tours:11.00, 12.30,17.00 Y 18.30

Tickets

  • General: 5 €
  • Reduced: 3 €
  • Groups: 4 €

This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data