Built in the 13th century (1228), it belonged to the Cistercian Order. At present, it is an enclosed convent.It has preserved a Romanesque cloister, the floor of which is paved with slabs of stones forming images of animals, geometrical figures...

The church shows influences from the Cathedral and Monasterio de las Huelgas in Burgos.It has a Renaissance tomb in the transept, choir masonry work from the 17th century in the Classicist style, and a cross and chalice from the 15th century; there are carvings from the 18th century of Santa María la Real and Dios Padre. The original Gothic wooden sepulchres have disappeared.

Historical Data

Religious architecture
Monastery / Convent
Predominant styles:
Historical Period:
Middle Ages


El Compás, 1. Villamayor de los Montes. 09339 Burgos.

Telephone: 947 189 001

More information

Ayuntamiento of Villamayor de los Montes


Municipality of Villamayor de los Montes. Burgos.

Teléfono: 947 189 064

Email: villamayordelosmontes@diputaciondeburgos.net

Página Web: http://www.villamayordelosmontes.es

Tourist Office Regional of Burgos


Pza. Alonso Martínez, 7. Burgos. 09003 Burgos.

Telephone: 947 203 125

Fax: 947 276 529

Email: oficinadeturismodeburgos@jcyl.es