This renaissance church with a latin cross ground plan was started before 1573 according to the plans of Juan Alvear. It contains an interesting altarpiece, by members of the school o Gregorio Fernández, made of painted wood and dating from 1630 and 1640.

The church contains the sculpture of the patron saint which was found, legend has it, by the knights Templar in the trunk of a holm oak when they were building the fortress, hence its name. It also conserves the 13th-century image of the Cristo de la Fortaleza (Christ of the Fortress) probably brought in from the Templar castle.

Historical Data

Architecture:
Religious architecture
Construction:
Church
Predominant styles:
Renaissance
Historical Period:
Early modern period

Address

Plaza de la Encina, 4. Ponferrada. 24400 León.

More information

Oficina de Turismo of Ponferrada

Address:

C/ Gil y Carrasco, 4. Ponferrada. 24400 León.

Teléfono: 987 424 236 / 987 424 539

Fax: 987 424 539

Email: turismo@ponferrada.org

Página Web: http://www.ponferrada.org

Tourist Office Regional of León

Address:

Pza. de Regla, 2. León. 24003 León.

Telephone: 987 237 082

Fax: 987 273 391

Email: oficinadeturismodeleon@jcyl.es

Opening hours

  • Every day: depending on worship service

Tickets

Free