Founded in 1104, this church occupies a privileged place in the history of Salamanca because one of the factions in which the city was divided during the low Middle Ages was named after it.

The present building dates from the 16th century, and was rebuilt at the behest of the archbishop Alfonso de Fonseca and the Maldonado family, whose coats-of-arms, together with those of the Acevedo y Ulloa family, can be seen in the sturdy buttresses of the church.

Inside, there is a nave covered by pointed vaults. There is also an interesting 16th-century Calvary attributed to Diego de Siloé. The most interesting sepulchres are those located next to the main altar of Don Arias Pérez Maldonado.

Historical Data

Architecture:
Religious architecture
Construction:
Church
Predominant styles:
Gothic
Historical Period:
Early modern period

Address

Plaza de San Benito, s/n. Salamanca. 37008 Salamanca.

More information

Oficina de Turismo of Salamanca

Address:

P/ Mayor, 32. Salamanca. 37002 Salamanca.

Teléfono: 902 302 002 / 923 218 342

Fax: 923 263 409

Email: informacion@turismodesalamanca.com

Página Web: http://www.salamanca.es

Opening hours

  • Sundays and holidays: depending on worship service

Tickets

Free

This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data