Official Portal of Tourism. Junta de Castilla y Leon
The façade constitutes a monumental stone-sculpture altarpiece
Church of San Pablo
This convent was founded in 1276. In the mid 15th century the Cardinal Torquemada had the edifice rebuilt. Works were picked up by Fray Alonso de Burgos, the Bishop of Palencia.
The façade constitutes a monumental stone-sculpture altarpiece. Was made by Simón de Colonia and has two parts: the first one, reaching up to the ledge above the rose window, is flanked by two spires. The second section of the facade stands above the gargoyle line and the star background represents the emblem of the Rojas family.
The façade is topped off by a pediment. On a background of gills is the coat of arms of the Catholic Monarchs, however, the decoration of the pediment is not Gothic, but Renaissance. The church shows the typical structure of the time of the Catholic Monarchs: a single nave with chapels and a high choir. The Doric front and the balcony above are still visible today. The Dukes sat in the balcony during mass.
- Religious architecture
- Predominant styles:
- Historical Period:
- Early modern period
Plaza de San Pablo s/n. Valladolid. 47011 Valladolid.
Telephone: 983 351 748
Oficina de Turismo of Valladolid
Plaza de Fuente Dorada s/n. Valladolid. 47001 Valladolid.
Teléfono: 983 330 893
Tourist Office of Valladolid
- Monday to saturday: 7:30 – 13:30 and 19:00 – 21:30
- Sundays and holidays: 8:00 – 14:00 and 18:00 – 21:30
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data