No documents have been preserved in connection with the building of the church, which took place in the 10th century. In 1311 the bishop of Astorga donated the church to the monastery of San Pedro de Montes. The documents of the church were transferred to the archives of the monastery, which were destroyed by a fire.

The main nave is linked to the apse by means of a horseshoe, double-ringed arch of triumph and this is the first double arch in the Spanish architecture of the middle ages. It is also one of the oldest buildings in the world. A concrete vault covers the apse, the only sample of this solution in Mozarabic architecture. In the late 17th century the nave top was lowered by means of a Moorish coffered ceiling. The belfry was erected and a door added and, finally, the sacristy was added in the 19th century.

Historical Data

Architecture:
Religious architecture
Construction:
Church
Predominant styles:
Mozarab
Historical Period:
Middle Ages

Address

Plaza Campín, 6. Santo Tomas de las Ollas (Ponferrada). 24416 León.

Telephone: 987 424 236

More information

Tourist Office of Ponferrada

Address:

C/ Gil y Carrasco, 4. Ponferrada. 24400 León.

Telephone: 987 424 236 / 987 424 539

Fax: 987 424 539

Email: turismo@ponferrada.org

Website: http://www.ponferrada.org

Tourist Office Regional of León

Address:

Pza. de Regla, 2. León. 24003 León.

Telephone: 987 237 082

Fax: 987 273 391

Email: oficinadeturismodeleon@jcyl.es

Opening hours

  • Every day: book visit in advance

Tickets

Free