Official Portal of Tourism. Junta de Castilla y Leon
Words simply cannot describe such beauty
Canyon of the Rio Lobos
The Cañón del Río Lobos Nature Park, situated in the provinces of Soria and Burgos, is considered to be one of the most beautiful landscapes in Spain, renowned for its spectacular relief, formed by a deep ravine surrounded by sheer walls rising up to rocky peaks.
It is home to dense forest masses of junipers and cluster pines as well as a wealth of fauna, including pairs of griffon vultures. It is also an important reserve for golden eagles, Egyptian eagles and falcons. The mammals include large numbers of deer, boars, squirrels, otters, badgers and wildcats.
This is the ideal choice for a delightful walk amongst spectacular scenery leading us to the Chapel of San Bartolomé, one of the most important’ and surprising due to its setting ’ sites of the Order of the Knights Templar, and from where we can admire the ravine in all its splendour. The trail follows the course of the River Lobos, with its floating water lilies, as the water intriguingly vanishes from sight before suddenly reappearing. Beauty that cannot be described in words, and that visitors simply have to see for themselves.
Park House of Cañón del Río Lobos
This Visitor Centre was one of the first to be set up in Castilla y León, and is situated in a former mill house in Ucero. Water is the theme of one of the exhibitions, the element that shaped the Río Lobos Canyon, whilst on the second floor visitors can learn about the nature park’s natural and cultural heritage.
Address: Ctra. SO-920 del Burgo a S. Leonardo de Yagüe Km. 16. 42317
Telephone: 975 363 564
- About 200 species of vertebrates, including the griffon vulture, royal and short-toed eagles, egyptian vulture, red rocker, roe deer, otter, etc.
- Deep canyon of steep vertical walls, opened in the compact limestone of the Cretaceous.
- Spanish juniper, Pinus nigra (pino laricio), thickets of lavender, gorse and common juniper. Forest bank and aquatic plants.
DeclaredCategory: Natural Park (10,202 ha.)
- Municipalities in the province of Burgos:
- Hontoria del Pinar
- Municipalities in the province of Soria:
- Espeja de San Marcelino,
- Herrera de Soria,
- Nafría de Ucero,
- San Leonardo de Yagüe,
- Santa María de las Hoyas,