Official Portal of Tourism. Junta de Castilla y Leon
Menestra of Palencia
(for 4 persons)
- 1 kg of seasonal vegetables: artichokes, peas, asparagus, peppers, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, or others depending on the season of the year.
- 1 onion, chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 3 tablespoons of flour.
- 1 egg.
- 1 glass of white wine.
- 1/4 litre of broth from the cooking of vegetables.
- 50 g of diced ham.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of minced parsley.
Boil in abundant salted water the chosen vegetables. Make it one by one without mixing them, since each one has its cooking time. In the case of artichokes, boil them in a pot apart with a little lemon juice since the water would not be for other vegetables. (This means cooking the rest of the vegetables one by one without changing the water).
In a separate pot, heat the oil and fry the garlic until it is half brown. Then add the onions and fry gently over a low heat for about fifteen minutes. Add to it the ham and fry lightly. Add the white wine, the water of the vegetables and leave it boil. Add the vegetables. Previously coat some of them (such as the artichoke) in batter. Add the parsley and simmer for five minutes.