Juan de Homar boat
The Juan de Homar is based in the town of Villaumbrales and sails from the jetty situated next to town’s Canal Museum.
The Castilla Canal Museum is housed in one of the many former warehouses built for storing the goods transported along the Canal. The building dates back to 1799, and is built in a simple, functional style combining brick, rammed earth and dressed stone. The facilities include large green areas leading down to the canal bank, site of the stone ruins of a shipyard where repairs were carried out on the 400 boats that sailed up and down the canal until the late 19th century.
The boat offers 5 kilometre trips along the canal, from the Villaumbrales jetty as far as the first irrigation gate, a typical construction that can be found along the Canal and where the mechanism regulating the water flow was kept. The boat, with a crew of two and a capacity for up to 38 passengers, is 12.65 metres long and sails at a speed of three knots.
This tourist boat is named ‘Juan de Homar’ in honour of the man who held the post of Works Manager on Castilla Canal during the last third of the 18th century until 1806. A highly appropriate tribute, as it is named after one of the Canal’s most fervent defenders and promoters.