Known since Lord Wellington settled in the area during the War of Independence, the town was declared a Historic Artistic Monument in 1931.

Between 1984 and 1985, a campaign of archaeological excavations was carried out, in which a cruciform building with horseshoe-ended hemicycles that conserve pavements and mosaics with human and animal figures, as well as parietal stuccoes, was located. Other finds were spiral fluted marble columns, late terra sigillata vessels, coins, a sarcophagus, and an equestrian sculpture. Some of them moved to the Salamanca Museum. The site is not visitable, since it is located on a privately owned farm.

Historical Data

Architecture:
Archaeology site
Construction:
Villa
Historical Period:
Roman

Address

Desvío a San Julian, Carretera Salamanca - Matilla de los Caños. San Julian de Valmuza (Doñinos de Salamanca). 37120 Salamanca.

Telephone: 923 330 001

Email: ayuntamiento@ayto-doninos.com

Website: http://ayto-doninos.com/el-municipio/nucleos-de-poblacion/san-julian-de-la-valmuza/

More information

Oficina de Turismo of Salamanca

Address:

P/ Mayor, 32. Salamanca. 37002 Salamanca.

Teléfono: 902 302 002 / 923 218 342

Fax: 923 263 409

Email: informacion@turismodesalamanca.com

Página Web: http://www.salamanca.es