Stones with legends to tell
Castle of the Duques de Alba
The town was fortified in the 12th century. In 1304 Fernando IV handed it over to Alfonso de la Cerda.In 1472 García Alvarez de Toledo obtained the title of Duke of Alba, and carried out reform works in the castle.In the late 15th century the old building was thoroughly transformed and made into a castle-palace with a barrier without turrets.
During the War of Independence the French troops used it as their headquarters.The tower and its paintings were restored by the current Duchess of Alba and the remains of the old castle-palace have been found recently in the course of an archaeological excavation. It had a palatial area where an Italian gallery and a circular tower were integrated, the White Tower, which disappeared, being the Armory Tower, inside which the magnificent frescoes of the Battle of Mülhberg stand out, the only one that has survived to this day.
- Castle / Fortress / Watchtower
- Predominant styles:
Castillo, s/n. Alba de Tormes. 37800 Salamanca.
Tourist Office of Alba de Tormes
C/ Castillo, s/n. Alba de Tormes. 37800 Salamanca.
Fax: 923 300 015
Tourist Office of Salamanca
- Winter November, 3 – November, 30):
- Every day: 10:00 – 14:00 and 15:30 – 18:30
- Holly Week March, 26 – April, 1):
- Every day: 10:00 – 19:30
- From April, 1 to April, 30:
- Monday to friday: 10:00 – 14:00 and 16:00 – 19:30
- Saturdays, sundays and holidays: 10:00 – 19:30
- Summer June, 22 – August, 31):
- Tuesday to sunday: 10:30 – 14:00 and 16:30 – 19:00
- General: 3 €
- Reduced: 2 €
- Groups: 2 €
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data