An island of Christianity
In the Middle Ages, Haza, situated in the south of the province of Burgos, was known as ‘Aza’. Throughout history, its strategic location, topped by Buitrera Peak, has made this a much-sought after treasure.
It was one of the first towns to be repopulated by the advancing Christians, following the defeat of the Moors, who built the ashlar and rubble defense walls, part of the foundations of the future Castile. The origins of the town date back to the days of the Romans and in 1015 it was declared the regional capital, and seat of justice and order.
One of the most noteworthy features of its historic heritage is a corner of the walled enclosure, site of the sturdy castle keep. In the south-western section of the town stands the church, built in the Romanesque and Gothic styles.