The origins of this monastery date back to the second half of the 9th century, when King Alphonse III founded the abbey and a number of other small monasteries in the surrounding area. Some time later, in 1033, Mave and its possessions would become part of the great Benedictine monastery of San Salvador de Oña, in the province of Burgos.

Nothing remains of the ancient Pre-Romanesque structure. The cloister and other adjacent areas, which today house a hotel, were completely rebuilt during the course of the 18th century. However, the Romanesque church is still standing, a large building of dressed red stone, with a triple apse and three naves, with a bell wall and a tall dome over the transept.

Historical Data

Religious architecture
Monastery / Convent
Predominant styles:
Historical Period:
Middle Ages


Santa María de Mave (Aguilar de Campoo). Palencia.

Telephone: 979 123 611

More information

Oficina de Turismo Regional of Palencia


C/ Mayor, 31. Palencia. 34001 Palencia.

Teléfono: 979 706 523

Fax: 979 706 525


Tourist Office of Aguilar de Campoo


Paseo Cascajera,10. Aguilar de Campoo. 34800 Palencia.

Telephone: 979 123 641

Fax: 979 125 710

Remarks: Closed

This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data