Sense the centuries of history
The French King Louis the Younger gave Sancha of Castile a thorn from the crown of Jesus.
Monastery of Santa Maria de la Espina
The monastery was built in the 12th century on the orders of Sancha of Castile, sister of Alphonse VII the Emperor. The French King Louis the Younger gave the Spanish princess a thorn from the crown of Jesus kept in the Monastery of San Dionís, hence its name.
The church façade and the two towers date back to the mid-17th century and are attributed to the School of Ventura Rodríguez. Inside, the two cloisters are particularly worthy of note, as are the 17th century quarters for the monks and their guests, a series of chapels and the reliquary, which holds the monstrance that safeguards the thorn.
In 1731 the building suffered a fire, and much of the monastery and library were destroyed, although fortunately, the Holy Thorn reliquary and Book of Tumbo were saved. Later came the French invasion and the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizábal, which in 1835 finally forced the remaining monks to leave.
- Religious architecture
- Monastery / Convent
- Predominant styles:
- Historical Period:
- Middle Ages
Telephone: 983 565 064 / 983 565 011
Oficina de Turismo of Valladolid
Pabellón de Cristal. Acera de Recoletos, s/n. Valladolid. 47004 Valladolid.
Teléfono: 983 219 310
Página Web: http://www.info.valladolid.es
Tourist Office of Santa Espina (La)
Monasterio de la Santa Espina. La Santa Espina (Castromonte). 47641 Valladolid.
Telephone: 654 658 336
- Other dates
- Friday: 16:00 – 19:00
- Saturdays, sundays and holidays: 10:00 – 14:00 and 16:00 – 19:00
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data