One of the best cothic churches of the 16th century
Collegiate of Berlanga de Duero
This church represents a paradigm for single-nave, salon structures and will be the precedent for many future churches due yo its spatial conception and purity of lines, which make it one of the best cothic churches of the 16th century. The first stone was placed in 1526 and was blessed in 1530. The works went on during the whole of the 16th century.
Ten parishes joined efforts to finance this projects. They were all demolished and made into one. The church was built at the behest of Íñigo Fernández de Velasco, Condestable of Castile, and his wife, Ana María Tovar, the dukes of Frías, who turned the church into a collegiate church in 1514.
The main altarpiece is dominated by the sculpture of Nuestra Señora del Mercado (Our Lady of the Market), after whom the Colegiata is named, a Romanesque-Gothic statue dating from the 12th century that was brought in from one of the ten parish churches that were pulled down in order to build the new church.
- Religious architecture
- Predominant styles:
- Gothic, Renaissance
- Historical Period:
- Early modern period
Daniel Ruiz Montejo, 2. Berlanga de Duero. 42360 Soria.
Telephone: 975 343 049 (Párroco)
Oficina de Turismo of Berlanga de Duero
Plaza del Mercado. Berlanga de Duero. 42360 Soria.
Teléfono: 975 343 433
Página Web: http://www.sorianitelaimaginas.com
Tourist Office Regional of Soria
- From June, 2 to September, 30:
- Every day: 10:00 – 14:00 and 16:00 – 19:30
- Other dates
- Every day: 10:00 – 14:30 and 15:30 – 18:30
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data