A Mozarabic architectural jewel in the province of León
Monastery Church of Santiago
The hermit monk San Genadio, who later became Bishop of Astorga, founded this monastery, built between 909 and 916. The church is of a later date. It was consecrated in 1105.
In 1968 the reconstruction of the temple began and the foundations of the monastery, occupying a wide area, were unearthed in 1985.
The building, admirably well-preserved despite its age, from the outside offers a harmonious image with well-proportioned sections.
- Arquitectura Religiosa
- Estilos predominantes:
- Periodo Histórico:
- Edad Media
Peñalba de Santiago (Ponferrada). 24415 León.
Tourist Office of Ponferrada
C/ Gil y Carrasco, 4. Ponferrada. 24400 León.
Fax: 987 424 539
Tourist Office Regional of León
- From October, 1 to March, 31:
- Wednesday to sunday: 10:00 – 14:00 and 15:00 – 18:00
- Closed: monday and tuesday
- Closed in the afternoon: sunday
- Summer August, 1 – September, 30):
- Monday to saturday: 10:00 – 14:00 and 16:30 – 20:00
- Sunday: 10:00 – 14:00
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data