Churches and Chapels
Parish Church of Santa Maria la Real
Large building. Several building stages, between the late 12th and the early 17th centuries. It houses the Museo Parroquial de Sasamón.
In 1128 the king Alfonso VII granted permission to the town hall to build a church, that is why the church is called Santa María la Real (the Royal One). The building has five naves reminiscent of the church at Las Huelgas, Burgos. It has a receding transept. It used to have exterior colonnades on the south end, which were destroyed when the cloister was built, the late 15th century.
- Religious architecture
- Predominant styles:
- Historical Period:
- Middle Ages, Early modern period
El Arco, 1. Sasamón. 09123 Burgos.
Telephone: 947 370 154
- Every day: 10:00 – 14:00 and 16:00 – 20:00