The tower is the only thing left of what was once one of the most sumptuous castles in Spain, according to writers and travelers. It was built in the 16th century by order of the 5th Count of Benavente, Don Alfonso Pimentel, a work of the 16th century, it is a mix between Gothic and Renaissance.

The shields on the outside of the tower and those of the pendentives on the inner vault represent the arms of the Pimentel, weapons that also appear in the Hospital of Benavente and in the courtyard of the Palacio de los Condes in Valladolid.

The tower survived the fire of early XIX, being restored around 1953. The complex is covered by a magnificent Moorish coffered ceiling from the disappeared convent of San Román del Valle. In 1972, it became part of the local Parador Nacional de Turismo.

Historical Data

Architecture:
Civil engineering
Construction:
Castle / Fortress / Watchtower, Palace
Predominant styles:
Renaissance
Historical Period:
Early modern period

Address

Pº de la Mota, s/n. Benavente. Zamora.

Telephone: 980 630 300

More information

Tourist Office of Benavente

Address:

AYUNTAMIENTO VIEJO Plaza Mayor, s/n. Benavente. 49600 Zamora.

Telephone: 980 634 211

Email: turismo@benavente.es

Website: http://www.turismobenavente.es

Tourist Office Regional of Zamora

Address:

Avda. Principe de Asturias, 1. Zamora. 49012 Zamora.

Telephone: 980 531 845

Email: oficinadeturismodezamora@jcyl.es

Website: http://www.turismocastillayleon.com

Opening hours

  • Every day: book visit in advance

This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data