A magnificent wall steeped in history
Walls and Puertas de Avila
With a perimeter of 2,516 metres, this spectacular wall was built for defence purposes with the stones from ancient Roman buildings and funerary stelae. The current wall appears to have been erected during the course of the 12th century.
The clearly defined enclosure includes 87 turrets and 9 gates that blend in perfectly against Ávila’s cityscape and its civil architecture.
Visitors can walk for almost 1,700 metres around the parapet, admiring unique views of the city and surrounding area. In addition, a stroll around the outer perimeter gives some idea of the magnificence of this wall and the chance to discover some truly delightful spots.
- Military architecture
- Historical Period:
- Middle Ages
Oficina de Turismo of Ávila
Avda. Madrid, 39. Ávila. 05001 Ávila.
Teléfono: 920 354 000 ext. 370 y 371
Fax: 920 254 200
Página Web: http://www.avilaturismo.com
Tourist Office Regional of Ávila
- Winter October, 23 – March, 31):
- Tuesday to sunday: 10:00 – 18:00 (Last screening 45 minutes before closing )
- Closed: monday
- From April, 1 to June, 30:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 – 20:00 (Last screening 45 minutes before closing )
- Summer July, 1 – August, 31):
- Every day: 10:00 – 21:00
- From September, 1 to October, 22:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 – 20:00
- General: 5 €
- Reduced: 3.5 €
- Groups: 3.5 €
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data