Two authentic jewels of the Gothic and Romanesque styles
Cathedrals of Salamanca
Salamanca boasts two cathedrals that stand side by side. The New Cathedral is built in the Gothic style while the Old Cathedral offers visitors the chance to admire a truly magnificent Romanesque monument.
Is the ‘the last breath of the Gothic style’ because it was built during the early stages of Renaissance. The Catedral Nueva de Salamanca is one of the artistic landmarks of this city by the river Tormes, and one example of rich monumentality that contrasted dramatically with the sober simplicity of the nearby Romanesque cathedral. It contains a wide range of artistic styles: Gothic blends with Baroque, which in turn feeds on Renaissance to become stone, figures and glass.
It is a grandiose cathedral, and the best thing for a visitor to do is get lost in it and forget time. There are impressive pillars and an imposing Baroque dome rising above the transept to reach a height of 80 metres. The choir, one of the most important of Spanish Baroque, was built by Alberto Churriguera.
The Catedral Vieja de Salamanca is one of the most beautiful Romanesque monuments in Europe, topped off by its world-famed dome, also known as the Torre del Gallo. It is the perfect Romanesque cathedral that a monumental city like Salamanca required.
Simple and austere, it is pregnant with small sculpture details that make it an international reference thanks to the expressive force of its compositions. Harmonious, each corner surprises visitors with an interesting detail that can be endlessly observed from multiple angles.
- Arquitectura Religiosa
- Estilos predominantes:
- Renacentista, Románico, Gótico, Barroco
- Periodo Histórico:
- Edad Media, Edad Moderna
- Winter January, 10 – February, 27):
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday: 10:00 – 16:00 (Last entrance 15:15 h)
- Friday and Saturday: 11:00 – 18:00 (Last entrance 17:15 h)
- Summer July, 1 – August, 31):
- Monday to saturday: 11:00 – 20:00 (Last entrance 19:15)
- Sunday: 11:00 – 18:00 (Last entrance 17:15)
- From August, 30 to September, 6:
- Every day: 11:00 – 19:00 (Last entrance 18:15 h)
- From April, 23 to May, 28:
- Monday to thursday: depending on worship service
- Friday and Saturday: 10:00 – 20:00 (Last entrance 19:15)
- Sunday: 10:00 – 18:00 (Last entrance 17:15 h)
- From May, 29 to June, 30:
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 11:00 – 13:15 and 16:00 – 19:15
- Friday and Saturday: 11:00 – 20:00 (Last entrance 19:15 h)
- Sunday: 11:00 – 17:00 (Last entrance 16:15 h)
- Closed: monday
- From October, 1 to October, 31:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday: 11:00 – 18:00 (Last entrance at 17:15 H)
- Friday and Saturday: 11:00 – 20:00 (Last entrance at 19:15 h)
- From December, 3 to December, 7:
- Every day: 11:00 – 19:15
- General: 6 €
- Reduced: 5 €
- Groups: 5 €
This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data