The splendour of nobility
The town of Toro stands on the plain between the regions known as Tierras del Vino, del Pan and Guareña. Situated in a natural vantage point, it was a strategic defense location on the front line of the Duero between the Christians and the Moors.
To the south, in the part overlooking the Duero, a fortress was built to defend the northern plains. An imposing wall of lime and stone surrounds the town, and a second wall runs around the first, providing protection for later settlers.
In the Middle Ages, Toro was the site of several major events. It played host to royalty and the court, and witnessed the warring between Isabella of Castile and Joanna La Baltreneja. Capital of the province until 1833, its former grandeur can still be seen in the layout of the streets, the churches (which number almost forty), San Salvador, etc., the monasteries, the Collegiate Church of Santa María la Mayor, palaces, hospitals and stately homes such as the Palace of the Counts of Fuentesaúco. Wealth, power and beauty enclosed within the town walls.