This 12th century Romanesque church was founded in 1175 by the English brothers Ricardo and Randulfo, being the first outside England to be dedicated to Tomas Beckett, Bishop of Canterbury, just three years after the canonization of the British saint in 1172 and his death by martyrdom. The Church gave its name to the Santo Tomás Cantuariense district where the repopulation of Portugal settled. The temple is a harmonious building, small in size, with a Latin cross plan and a single nave covered with wooden roofs. It stands out on the outside for its three stepped semicircular apses, animated by pilasters and molded windows. The tower at the foot of the temple serves as an entrance, typical of some Salamanca churches.

Historical Data

Architecture:
Religious architecture
Construction:
Church
Predominant styles:
Romanesque
Historical Period:
Middle Ages

Address

C/ Rosario, s/n Salamanca. Salamanca. Salamanca.

More information

Tourist Office of Salamanca

Address:

P/ Mayor, 32. Salamanca. 37002 Salamanca.

Telephone: 902 302 002 / 923 218 342

Fax: 923 263 409

Email: informacion@turismodesalamanca.com

Website: http://www.salamanca.es

Opening hours

  • Every day: depending on worship service

Tickets

Free

This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data