Projected by Antonio Gaudí after the fire that destroyed the former Episcopal palace of Astorga in 1886, it is a neo-Gothic modernist building that brings together forms typical of a stately mansion, a castle and a temple. Gaudí himself directed the works until 1893, the year of Bishop Grau's death. When he abandoned them, the construction already looked out to the third and last floor (the fourth, counting the basement).

In its configuration, it seems clear that Gaudí proposed that the design of the building be very respectful of the history of the city. A good connoisseur of Bishop Grau's religious ideals, Gaudí applied his own neo-Gothic vision to the exterior of the palace. The architect Ricardo García Guereta faced the challenge of finishing the top floor and the roofs of the building. The palace is divided into four floors, the first two constituting, as Gaudí established, the public area of the Palace. The basement respects Bishop Grau's idea of allocating part of the space to an archaeological museum and the upper floor is used today as a temporary exhibition hall and didactic classroom.

Datos Históricos

Arquitectura Civil
Estilos predominantes:
Periodo Histórico:
Edad Moderna


Plaza de Eduardo Castro. Astorga. 24700 León.

Teléfono: 987 616 882


Página Web:

Más Información

Tourist Office of Astorga


P/ Eduardo de Castro, 5. Astorga. 24700 León.

Telephone: 987 618 222

Fax: 987 619 299



Tourist Office Regional of León


Pza. de Regla, 2. León. 24003 León.

Telephone: 987 237 082

Fax: 987 273 391



Opening hours

  • Summer
    • Every day: 10:00 – 14:00 and 16:00 – 20:00
  • Winter October, 1 – April, 30):
    • Every day: 10:30 – 14:00 and 16:00 – 18:30


  • General: 6 €
  • Groups: 5 €

This website shall not be responsible for the accuracy of this data